Everything Elderberry Cake
For this special cake I wanted elderberries through and through. Elderberry syrup in the batter, elderberry-blueberry preserves for the jelly filling and elderflower syrup in frosting. The citrus zest added an extra-bright zing. We used orange but lemon would have been great as well!
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter (or plant-based butter)
- 2 tablespoons elderberry syrup
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg whites (do these last and lightly beat them — just enough to fully mix them into the batter)
- ½ cup frosting
- 3 tablespoons elderberry blueberry preserves
- ¾ cup frosting
- 1 tablespoon elderflower syrup
For the cake
For the jelly filling
For the Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350.
- For the cake: Mix dry ingredients together and set aside. Add the butter and sugar and elderberry syrup to a stand up mixer and blend, then add the dry ingredients. Add egg whites last.
- Split the batter in half and bake in two 9-inch greased baking pans for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. If you’re not sure if it’s done, stick in a toothpick — it should come out clean.
- For the Jelly Filling: Blend together both ingredients. Once your cakes have cooled, spread filling evenly across one of them and then gently place the other cake on top.
- Spread frosting evenly on your cooled, stacked cake. Grate on orange or lemon zest, top with berries and enjoy!
Shop Elderberry Syrup
Shop Elderflower Syrup